Budget and Constituent Communications
Transparent & Responsible Budget:
The SCPS budget is a compilation of complexities - so much so, that parents and taxpayers have no real way of knowing how the funds are being spent. The budget needs to be simplified and presented in a consistent manner every year so that parents, taxpayers and the folks responsible for appropriating the funds can effectively participate and navigate the process.
The SCPS budget is 53% of the entire Stafford County budget. Given that all the other county services and programs must be funded with the remaining 47%, it is essential that SCPS continue to operate effectively, efficiently, and responsibly.
Long-term planning for reaching our educational goals needs to include SCPS and the resources of academic and corporate entities that make up our community - every option must be explored in order to help us meet our goals.
I will bring my Corporate Government Affairs and PTO/PTA budget experience to the table, with a fresh perspective and a willingness to invest the time to continue to scrutinize every line of the budget. Funding should be provided for what is essential and effective for educating students. New options must be realized and will take consideration and cooperation by all members of our community. Schools not only improve the lives and education of students, they maintain economic stability in the community by attracting new businesses and families. The better the school system, the more vibrant the community and inevitably, the more improved your home's value.
My Promise to you - Open Communications:
It is my intention to continuously communicate with you, and our families in the Aquia District -- to ensure that I'm passing along information and seeking input on issues that will be voted on. I would like to encourage dialogue and input from parents throughout the year and will solicit that through town hall meetings, participation on Advisory Committees and continuing to engage our PTO/PTA comunity throughout the year. I will also utilize the many social media formats such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to keep you engaged when it's convenient for you to check in. These are all essential elements in ensuring that I keep you informed on the business of our school system.